Monday, June 8, 2015

Redundant Chapter 2: Norn's Marriage - Second Part


Translators: Pielord Miniman

TLC: Kaezar
Editors/Proofreaders : Jason Li, ETA.Alpha.Theta, Nicolas L


―○●○―


Part 1
Part 2



Part 1


Leave it to me.
I said that and began the preparations for the marriage.

Norn has given an affirmative response, the problem lies on Ruijerd's side.
He is an adult. If I asked him to marry my sister, he would most likely agree to it.
Thinking logically, marrying my family is also to the benefit of the Supard race.
Objectively, looking at my title, I am a trusted retainer of the Dragon God.
Since ancient times, marriage has been a way of deepening strength of an alliance.
With Ruijerd and Norn’s marriage, the Supard race won’t oppose the Dragon God faction, and we would no longer have to cast them away.
That's the proposal I have prepared.
It is a happy proposal.

But is that really alright?
Would that make Norn happy?
If Ruijerd married her thinking "It can't be helped", would Norn be satisfied?
When she realises that she isn't loved back, she will most likely break into tears.

Ruijerd is currently in Biheilil Kingdom, in charge of negotiations.
Which means that Norn wouldn't live in the Magic City Sharia any longer and would move to the Supard village.
After the incident in the Biheilil Kingdom, the whole village knows her name and face,
So the villagers would most likely accept her.
But, while living with a race other than your own, the common sense and daily lifestyle would be different. Would Norn be able to make a good living?

Worst case, Norn would be ostracised from the villagers.

I'm worried.
Very worried.

I asked my three wives for advice on the issue:
Roxy said: "If it's Norn, she'll be fine."
Eris said: "If it's Ruijerd, she'll be fine."
Sylphy said: "You're overthinking this."

But I am still worried.
I cannot allow Norn to meet with misfortune.
If Norn were to spend her days crying, Paul would glare at me in my dreams, and Zenith would be standing at my bedside slapping me awake from my peaceful sleep.

For both their sake, I must make sure Norn is on the road to happiness.
Anything after that is up to Norn herself.

Of course, I understand that Ruijerd is a man worthy of my faith.
Even if he didn't love Norn from the bottom of his heart, I know that he would treat his wife properly.
He would care for her in a way that would never cause her to cry.

But I still have to confirm this with Ruijerd.
No matter how much Ruijerd might not love Norn.
Even if I must prepare some kind of event to have them get along better.
It should be possible to have Ruijerd’s feelings for Norn turn around.
And then everything should reach a Happy End.

"...Alright."

And so, with that, I arrived at the Supard village in Biheilil Kingdom.

The Supard village, a few months into reconstruction, already looked complete.
The village was surrounded by large trees and on the inside, houses were lined up in rows. They hadn’t harvested yet, but there were crops growing in the field.
When the Supard warriors saw me, they bowed their heads and kindly led me into the village.

After I gave an appropriate greeting in response, we quickly made our way to Ruijerd's house.
Of course, it was a new building.
Ruijerd held a rather significant standing in this village, so his house was large.
Yup, it's more than enough for two people to live.

"...Ruijerd-san, are you in?"
"Oh, Rudeus."

Ruijerd was inside.
It seemed he had just finished eating, he was sitting next to the fire place in the centre of the room with his eyes closed in some kind of state of meditation.

"..."

I went and sat down in front of him in seiza.
Ruijerd opened his eyes and gave me a puzzled look.

"...What's wrong?"

As he asked me, I turned my palm towards Ruijerd.

"Please wait a minute, I'm still choosing my words."
"...Alright."

And so I kept my silence.
While sitting there staring at the flickering fire, it felt like nearly an hour had passed.
It may sound odd, but I couldn't think of anything to start with.

I know what I must say.
Ruijerd's feeling for Norn.
Whether he likes her or dislikes her and what he thinks of her a marriage partner.

But I don’t know how to word it.
How about:
‘How do you feel about marrying Norn?’
No, marriage and feelings are separate issues. I can't forget that.

"..."

Ruijerd didn't try to start a conversation with me as I was sitting in silence.
He was waiting for me to start talking.
As if to say that there was absolutely no need to rush, that I should choose my words at ease.
I don't know whether or not he has some business to take care of, but he probably doesn't have anything to do.

Most likely, he acts this way towards Norn as well.
Or it’s possible that Norn may think of this attitude of his a little irritating.
No, probably not.
The very reason Norn fell in love with Ruijerd was because of this particular trait of him.
A partner not bothered by silence is a valuable thing.
Although I'm agonising a little over it now.

"...Right, recently, Norn has been making tea, she's gotten quite good."
"Hmm, Norn's tea."

I said that fishing for a response, and Ruijerd replied.
As I thought, he is somewhat interested in Norn.
So is the first condition clear...?
No, wait, when a man who has been sitting in silence for an hour says something, no matter what it's about, you would reply.
Don't rush.
It's about the flow of the conversation.

"It seems that because she's been making it at her workplace, she's gotten better."
"Is that so... When she came to the village before, it was good."

Ruijerd closed his eyes as if he was remembering something.
Is that so, it seems Ruijerd has already had Norn's tea.
It was good he says.
Putting it like that means that he would probably like to try it again.
Is he thinking something like "I'd like her to make me tea everyday..."?

Damn it, how should I ask him.
I want a choice list.
Is this how Orsted feels when he's talking with me?
Then should I just tell him outright?
How should I do it!? Just how should I ask!?

"It's not just her tea, her cooking isn't bad either."

While I was toiling, the conversation continued.
The conversation kept flowing.
The flow did not stop.

But wait, what did he just say?
Cooking?

"Have you tried it?"
"Yes."

Norn's cooking?
Even though I've never had it before?

"Is that so..."

I wonder what she made.
Beef stew or curry or omurice or maybe even beef stroganoff.
I want to try it too.
I want to eat it.
No, I have to set myself aside for now.

But in any case, if he likes her cooking then that means it’s not hopeless.
Her cooking won’t make one’s mouth water, but it seems that she's not that awful.
And after they get married, we won't be seeing Ruijerd getting slim.

“Is something the matter with Norn?”

While I was thinking, Ruijerd had asked that.
It was a reasonable assumption.
No, I suddenly came in here with a serious face and started talking about Norn, what I want to talk about should be obvious.

“No… It’s not that anything’s particularly the matter, it was small talk.”

But I’m still lacking the courage, resolve and guts to cut right to the point.
Do you like Norn? Do you love her? Do you Immediately want to hold her?
I’m afraid I would hear back: “I don’t think of her her like that at all, I can't marry her, even if I did I wouldn’t be able to love her.”
And if I did, I’m sure I’d be shocked.
And I’m sure I’d say something like “Just what about Norn doesn’t suit you!” and pick a fight.

“It’s just that, Norn is also growing up, and she already has a job. She still has plenty of time for children… But there isn’t even any kind of male presence around her. I was just wondering if she’ll be able to properly get married.”

I said that and looked at Ruijerd.
Was that too blunt?
Ruijerd was looking at me suspiciously.

“…Isn’t it a custom of the human race for the head of the family to pick marriage partners? Can you not decide who Norn’s partner will be?”
“No, no, no, I’m not a noble. I think it would be a good thing for Norn to be able to find her own partner, yes.”

I keep taking glances at Ruijerd, but his expression doesn’t change.
No, a bit of severity has been added to his suspicious gaze.
Does he think I’m being irresponsible?

“But of course! If Norn comes along and bring back some good for nothing, I would drag him out to a desert and tell him “If you want Norn, you have to defeat me!”
I won't hand Norn over to some useless nobody!”

I make a hurried explanation.
While I push the matter with Norn it would be bad to have him think me to be irresponsible.
I don’t know how it will be bad, but it will.

“So basically, if someone would like to marry Norn, they would have to defeat you?”
“No…! Something like that won't always be necessary! But! Just, hmm, right, guts… Yes, they would have to show me that they have the guts to do it.”

Someone who would lose their nerve under pressure and run away is no good.
I cannot entrust Norn to someone like that.
I also often lose my nerve, but I at least have no intention of running away.
They must have the guts to still fight even if they know they’ll lose.

“Is that right?”
“Yes.”

Of course, Ruijerd is good on that front.
I keep glancing at Ruijerd to try and tell him what I mean, but his expression doesn’t change.
Just his stone like gaze.
It seems he’s not interested in Norn after all.

“…”

Well, of course.
To him, Norn is just a child.
From childhood, he had only known her as a frail little girl.
Ruijerd couldn’t hold those kind of passionate feeling for a child. He’s just that kind of man.

“Ruijerd-san… I’ll get right to the point.”
“Ah.”

But I still have to hear it.
Even if it’s a sad outcome for Norn.
I cannot decide based just on the look on his face
I am also prepared.


“What do you think of Norn?”

“…”

Ruijerd is silent.
He silently stares intensely at me.
His face is like stone, truly intense.
His suspicion completely disappears.

“…”

That’s odd.
Normally Ruijerd would immediately reply in this kind of situation.
A child or a warrior.
It should be one of these two.

“…Do you like Norn?”

I am prepared.
The words that will begin it.
It may have been something that I shouldn’t have said.
It may have been something that Norn should have said herself.

“I see.”

As Ruijerd uttered those short words, he stood up as if he had decided something, and took his spear into his hand.

“…Rudeus, outside.”

I understood the meaning of that action, and looked up at him.
Towards me still bewildered on the ground, Ruijerd once again, said in a harsh tone:

“Outside.”
“…Yes.”

To that impact, denying a reply, I readily obeyed.


Part 2


We traveled roughly 10 minutes from the Supard village into the forest surrounding the Earth Dragon Valley.
Deep into the Forest.
Here in a small clearing, Ruijerd and I face each other.

“…”

Ruijerd had a stern face the entire time.
I might have made him mad.
After that conversation, it’s no surprise that conveying Norn’s feeling to him was a failure.
Or he might have just misunderstood.
As some form of political manoeuvre, I was presenting him with Norn.

If it’s Ruijerd,
He’d say like a man, “As her brother you must protect Norn. You mustn’t use her to curry favour.”
It’s because he’s reliable like that, that I can trust him.

“You already noticed it a while back.”

But what came out of Ruijerd’s mouth was outside of my predictions.

“…?”

What have I noticed?
I, who am currently standing here in confusion?
I, who cannot even guess what is right by any standard?

“What?”
“Don’t say any more, here I come!”

It seems there’s no use in talking.
I had no reason to have my precognition eye open, and without it, I had no way to see Ruijerd’s movements.

“—Wah!”

Ruijerd closed in in an instant and I was thrown to the ground.
But opposed to ten years ago, I knew what to do.
Thanks to my regular training, I managed a last minute response.

Ruijerd came at me with his spear from the right, and I raised the right hand of the Magic Armor MK. II to guard.
But Ruijerd then came around with a low kick which I blocked, and then used that leg as a pivot and kicked around with his other leg to knock me down.

“How’s that?”

Ruijerd thrust his spear at the back of my neck and looked down at me expressionlessly.

“I concede. Splendid skills.”

I have no idea what’s going on.
But I can’t say anything else.
I don’t think he’d stab my neck, but it’s obviously my loss.

“Is this sufficient?”

What’s he talking about?
Is what sufficient?

“Isn’t it me that’s insufficient?”
“…Then, is this enough?”

I don’t know what’s enough but in this situation he’s not lacking anything.
No matter what I say it would still be uncouthly.

“This is enough.”

As I said that, Ruijerd, moved his spear out of the way.
I raised my body up and sat down.
And looked up at Ruijerd with with my pathetic face.


“Then as promised, I get your sister.”


And then Ruijerd said something odd.
He gets my sister?
What about my sister?

Was there that kind of promise?
Huh?
What were we talking about?
I seem to have lost sight of the conversation.

“It’s just as you suspected.”

What did I suspect?

“I have fallen in love with Norn.”
“Fallen in love…”

I desperately tried to remember the meaning of that phrase.
If I remember correctly… It’s a feeling. A feeling of longing for someone.

“…Huh?”

Which means that Ruijerd likes Norn?
No, wait, don’t jump ahead.
Misunderstanding are my weakness.

“So Ruijerd-san, you like Norn?”
“……I like her.”

Am I being pranked?
Should I happily say, “Then I’ll let you marry Norn”.
And then when I go and bring Norn along in a white kimono, Ruijerd will come along with a giant billboard saying “Huge Success”.
That would me a huge mental shock. Norn might even kill herself.
It has to be Hitogami’s doing.
Damn it! For Ruijerd to be Hitogami’s apostle!

“Is this some kind of joke? Or maybe a punishment game?”
“It is not a joke.”

Ruijerd looked slightly offended by that.
That’s right, Ruijerd isn’t the type to joke around.
Especially at times like this.

“From when?”
“Several months ago, around the time of the battle in the Biheilil Kingdom. I would like to hold closely, the woman who so devotedly looked after me.”

They did look like they were getting along well together back then.
It couldn’t have just been Norn’s one sided feelings.
I thought I would be pushing Ruijerd into a marriage, but it seems like it wasn’t like that at all.

“Of course, I didn’t intend to make a move.”

Which means that if she wasn’t my sister, he would have made a move.
Normally he would have made a move.
According to Orsted, that’s how it went in the previous loops.

“But you had realised. Which is why you came around with that sudden conversation.”
“…”

That’s not why.
All I knew was that Norn liked Ruijerd.
Whoever realised that it was mutual wasn’t me.
There’s no way I’m that sharp.
I’m the thickheaded type.
My cutting ability is the same as that of a flail.

“I’ll say it again. I would like to marry Norn Greyrat.”

Ruijerd said that and pointed his spear at my neck.

“For that purpose, I have shown you my guts.”

So that’s what this is.
This is happening because I said that.
A duel to test courage.
But I don’t even have the strength needed to witness the extent of Ruijerd’s guts.

Well, there’s no point in confirming something like that now.
But something like that.
Being more confused than you thought.
And things advancing too well.

Is this a trap?
Just who is trying to entrap who?
I don’t get it.
What’s going on?

“Umm… Are you alright with your previous wife or your son?”

I don’t know and therefore continue questions.
I said that while sitting down and looking up at Ruijerd, and he answered.

“I told you before. I won’t be dragged around by my past anymore.”

I do remember him saying it was because there was no one there for him.
Ruijerd looked at me sitting and put down his spear and sat too.
I changed to seiza.
With that, our gazes were the same height.

“Meaning…”

Ruijerd said just that, and hung his head with a difficult face.

“…”

He kept silent.
Having me suddenly appear and exposing his feeling, awakening his resolution, and he brought me all the way out here.
But he was always bad with words.
And on top of that, he probably had a lot of things he wanted to say.

“…”

I was in too much of a hurry.
Even with what Orsted had said, there was no need to immediately set these two up.
I should have used a more indirect plan to bring the two of them together.
Like having Norn kidnapped and Ruijerd rescuing her…
No, the only one who would be charmed by that would be Norn, Ruijerd might fall into a trap.
Wait, if I did that, Norn would hate me.

“I would eventually marry a human.”

While I was worrying away, Ruijerd said something.
When would eventually be?

“What do you mean by that?”
“Thanks to you, the Supard race is headed towards restoration.
The people of the Biheilil Kingdom and the Ogres have kindly accepted us.
Eventually, like the Ogre race, the countries Royalty and nobility would send someone to create a blood relation with.
And it seems I was deemed to be the most suitable match.”
“Hmm.”

So there was something like that going on…
Well there usually was.
Ruijerd’s position was something like the assistant of the Chieftain.
But as a Hero of the previous war, he was looked up to.
The village idol… may be a little off but he’s something like a guardian deity.
Ruijerd would end up marrying some Biheilil noblewoman.
The Supard race would enter a position of guardians of the Biheilil Kingdom and they would be able to rest easy.

“But if I had the choice… Rudeus, your family would be better.”

With those words, I felt warm from the bottom of my heart.
A good relationship with Biheilil Kingdom would be to their benefit.
I’m sure that it would be much more beneficial as opposed to being in my family.
But Ruijerd chose my family.
I was chosen!

No, not me.
Not good, I almost became Girldeus.

But as I was thinking that, I realised something.

“Is Norn alright with you?”
“What do you mean by that?”

Ruijerd is suspicious.

“Norn is… How do I say it, quite selfish.
And without thinking about the conciseness, say some awful things.
If you for example had some kind of lovers quarrel, she may end up saying something insensitive about your past.”
“…”

Words that I didn’t expect came out.
That was odd.
I’m supposed to be supporting Norn, I should be pointing out Norn’s good parts.
But all that comes out are the bad points.

“It seems like she can do housework, but it can’t be called her speciality.
She can study, but she can't put very much of it to practical use, she fails at most things the first time.
At Sharia she can cope with most things easily, but at the Supard village, there would be plenty of things she wouldn’t be able to figure out.
I’m sure she would end up causing trouble for you.”

No, this isn’t what I want to say.
In my house there’s another young woman.
For example, Aisha.
Honestly, Aisha is far more excellent than Norn.
She can do housework and look after children.
She’s better to the extent that there’s nothing Norn can do that Aisha can’t.
When I think about it like that, I can't help but think “Is Norn alright”.

I want to root for Norn.
But I also like Ruijerd.
It’s because I want these two to be happy that I try to think of how to make sure no one is dissatisfied.

“—But that’s the result of her trying her very hardest.”

What interrupts my words is Ruijerd.

“I know. Norn’s bad points and her good points.”

I lost my words and Ruijerd looked as if he was pressing me for answers.

“You know it too don’t you?”
“Of course.”

Norn has plenty of good things about her.
I’m not that well informed on Norn as of late.
But I know what kind of person she has become.
Having lost to Aisha, she became far more docile than necessary.
She became far less hysteric and began to get along with Aisha.

Taking care of someone is good.
It wasn’t so much at home, but her classmates and juniors looked up to her.
At her 15th birthday, plenty of Norn’s friends came.
Even now, some of her school’s underclassmen still come over for help over studying or the student council comes to ask for advice.

Norn goes at everything with the utmost effort.
And as a result of trying her hardest at everything, although she can’t be the best, she can at least somehow do the things she isn’t good at.
Because Norn has plenty of things she isn’t good at, she can’t do things in an instant compared to others.
And so compared to Aisha, there’s a world of difference.
But other people don’t matter.
With her own effort, she steadily advances.
And I’m sure that, from here on out, she’ll continue like that.

Norn is just that kind of girl.
A very good girl.
A little sister I can be proud of.

And Ruijerd also knew that.
He knew that Norn is someone that always tried her hardest.
There’s no need for me to say it.
And even Norn’s bad parts.
He had known for a long time, and accepted it.
Taking it all in and still holding feeling for her.

“…Whenever it may be, will you always protect Norn?”
“Yes.”

Ruijerd gave a reassuring nod.
Right, if it’s him, he’d protect Norn until he died.

“When you get married, and Norn is surrounded by a different race, separated from her family, and think she’s in trouble, will you support her?”
“Yes.”

Ruijerd gave a reassuring nod.
Right, if it’s him, he’d support Norn until he died.

“If Norn is feeling down and says something bad, will you remind her of her courtesy?”
“Yes.”

Ruijerd gave a reassuring nod.
Right, if it’s him, he would comfort Norn and gently hold her.

“Norn is a Millis believer… Can you promise not to cheat?”
“Yes.”

Ruijerd gave a reassuring nod.
Right, it’s obvious. Ruijerd wouldn’t lose himself to a woman’s wiles.

“Norn is, she’s a bigger crybaby than me, is that ok?”
“Yes. So don’t you start crying.”

I began crying my eyes out.
His words were short but his tone was resolute. His face was serious and his gaze, earnest.

“There’s no problem. I understand.”

I suddenly remembered.
During the journey across the central continent after the teleport incident.
I remained at ease by Ruijerd’s side.
No matter what kind of demonic creature, I could rest, assured that he would protect us.

Of course, he’s not that great at taking care of things other things than demons, but as a person, that can’t be helped.
Nobody’s perfect.
Norn can simply make up for the things Ruijerd can’t do.

And I’m sure Norn, as she is now, can do that.
She has already proven that.
If she couldn’t then Ruijerd wouldn’t have said that he desired her.

While thinking like that, my shoulder grew weak.
I was relieved.

“Please take care of my sister.”

Finally, I lowered my head.



―○●○―





Author's Q&A


Q: It’s because of practice that she can cook well, but how did Rudi, after living in the same house for so many years, not try it?
A: If he had asked she would have made something for him, but all the practise was probably done somewhere else.
Like at school.

Q: I’m so happy that I feel that something’s going to go wrong…
A: Even though this is a redundancy chapter!?

Q: It’s good to cry isn’t it.
A: I don’t mind it.

Q: I think this belongs on the daily rankings. But if the people that see Mushoku Tensei and then go read the original are only a few, I think it would be a waste.
A: The redundancy chapter is just an extra so it’s ok.

Q: The light novel manga deal that I bought has arrived.
A: So it arrived!
That’s good…

Q: A secret extra chapter… It’s really great.
A: That this story became three chapters, it surprised me too…


Previous Chapter | Next Chapter

   3 comments :

Progress

Redundant Chapter XX


Translation
0%
Editing/Proofread
0%

Total Pageviews

Recent Comments

Powered by Blogger.