Saturday, May 16, 2015

Final Chapter : Afterlife


Translators: Kaezar, Pielord Miniman
Editors/Proofreaders : Jason Li, ETA.Alpha.Theta


TL hint : Hover your mouse over the ending!




―○●○―


And then, by the time I realized, I was already in the white room.

“Yo.”
“Hey.”

The mosaic guy that lived here looked healthy as usual.
Of course, he was neither sealed nor was he feeling down.
It’s the same-as-usual mosaic.

“Does that mean that what I saw 40 years ago was because of the power of foresight?”
“Yep.”

Hitogami was the same as usual.
Still, 40-50 years had passed since the last time I saw him.
Therefore, my memory of his 『Usual』 was already distant.
The only thing I did remember was his impudent attitude the first time I met him.

“I thought that if I showed you that, then you would become a little lax.”
“Well, it missed the target by quite a bit.”
“Not really, I was just trying something.”

A dream like that wasn’t going to stop me from doing what I’d been doing until now. I wasn’t that weak-willed.
Well, if it didn’t turn out like that dream, the possibility that I would stop wasn’t completely non-existent.

“So anyway, you actually looked like that.”

When told that, I looked at my own figure.
Before I knew it, my figure had changed.
The body with a blubber of mass......was no longer there.

My body had changed into the one that I had become familiar with in this world.
It was the body of Rudeus Greyrat.
I couldn’t see my own face so I couldn’t tell exactly, but I felt that I wasn’t that old right now.

“You didn’t know?”
“Yeah. Cause my eyes can only see the soul directly. I knew that your body and your soul were different, but this is my first time seeing your actual form.”

Well that’s a first.
But, now that I think very carefully, I don’t know how Hitogami looks either.
We’re in the same boat.

But why, why did my body decide to take this shape now of all times?
........I assume there’s no explanation for it.

“At any rate, with this, it’s over for you.”
“.........Yeah.”

I died.
At the age of 74.
I remember that my final moments were comfy.
I think that it was a happy ending for me, surrounded by my children and grand-children in my final moments.
At the very least, there was a world of difference compared to my previous final moments.
As compared to that lonely, powerless, miserable one, which would make you want to cry.........

“Now that you're gone, I can move more freely.”
“I see.”
“As long as you lived, anything I did resulted in failure.
That’s why, I’ve thought of something.
Just like you, I was increasing my supporters little by little.”
“So you still haven’t given up, huh.”

When I said that, Hitogami’s attitude changed.
He seemed angry.

“Isn’t that obvious?
Would you give up knowing that your future is like that?
Forever alone, not being able to do anything, not being able to see anything.
On top of that, I have to live like that for 10,000 or 100,000 years or even more.
Even though I know that I won’t be able to bear it, why would I give up?”

Well, I guess.
If it was that grand, then I couldn’t even imagine it........
But I could understand a little bit.
What would happen to him if he didn’t do anything.
Just what kind of future awaited him.
If he knew that he would regret it, then he couldn’t just pass up his time without doing anything.

“Well, I would probably not give up.......”
“........What’s with that carefree face of yours? Do you think you’ve won?”
“Do you have a plan?”
“Yeah, I now know about Orsted’s 200 years time loop.
You’ve finished producing your descendents as well, and I’ve thought of a way to manipulate them.
I’ve prepared things during these last 50 years........”
“I see.”
“Can you understand what I’m trying to say?
That foundation that you’ve established so far, I’m going to knock it over and turn the tables on you.
In a world without you, by using the things you laid out, I will win.
You cannot do anything now. Because you’re already dead!
You can no longer stop your own descendents from fighting among themselves. You can’t stop them from killing each other.
You can’t even cry and beg me to stop.
On the contrary, the only thing you can do is watch!”

As compared to Hitogami who was delightfully talking, I was just scratching my cheeks.
Incidentally, I also scratched at the back of my head.
It’s not really itchy though.
I’m just perplexed as to what kind of answer I should give.

“Is that so.....”

Upon my reply, Hitogami stomped his feet on the ground with force.

“WHAT IS IT.......!?”

While restlessly stomping on the ground with his foot, he raised his voice with irritation in it.

“How are you SO RELAXED!?”
“That’s because.......I’m already dead.”

As I answered with a pause, Hitogami became speechless.

I closed my eyes.
I started thinking about the things up until now.
I was able to do what I wanted in this world.
I married and had lots of friends.
I had lots of children and grand-children as well.
I tried my best at work.
Indeed, I was anxious about the things Hitogami would be doing from now on, and I also had the thought that I could’ve done something more.

But for some reason...
I had no regrets or curiosity left.
No, it should be better to say that there was nothing left to regret.
Sure, I’m worried and anxious, but the thought of ‘what to do’ doesn’t come to mind.
After listening to Hitogami now, I didn’t feel like I should somehow revive myself and go protect my children.
The children or the grandchildren would probably be able to do something about it somehow.

I slowly headed towards Hitogami.
Hitogami had a surprisingly small stature.
Since I never approached him more than necessary, I could never estimate his height.

“I’m satisfied already.”

I’d lived my life plenty.
I didn’t think that everything was perfect. Maybe there were still some things left that needed to be done.
It’s not like when I closed my eyes, only good memories came to my mind.
Memories of failures, memories of success, there were both.
However, I didn’t think that I needed to redo it.

I died.
My work was now over with this.
I should just entrust the consequences to the people that were still alive.
Even though the person in front of me was saying that he would harm the ones that were still alive, it was rather strange.

But it couldn’t be helped.
Strangely enough, my mind was calm.

“Listen, Hitogami.”
“...........”
“I wanted to tell you something before.”
“.......What?”


“I think that I don’t really hate you that much.”


I felt like Hitogami had an unpleasant face.

Of course, he might think that I was saying this because I was one step ahead of him for now.
Sylphy and Roxy both lived, and the children were in good health as well.
Eris died first but it was a matter of life-span.
It wasn’t Hitogami’s fault.

Of course, if there was even a little bit of change, then I think that I would’ve hated Hitogami to the point of killing him.
Just like my future self.
Just like him, it’s possible that I would’ve become a machine just to kill Hitogami.
I wouldn’t have been able to obtain such a calm demeanor.
As a result, I became how I am, is what I’m trying to say.

“What are you trying to say......?”
“Even I don’t really understand. I think that, the way I’m this calm right now is thanks to you.
I think if you, who was such a distinct enemy, weren’t here then I wouldn’t have been so satisfied up to this point.”

Yep. That’s right.
If not for Hitogami, I would’ve started to slack after I turned 20.
I would’ve married Sylphy, then gotten a job and would’ve worked hard at it.
I would’ve lived my life like that, been satisfied, and then died.
I’m sure that would’ve happened.

I would’ve been fine if things had turned out that way, but I have no doubt that I would never have been able to attain the same amount of satisfaction that I have now.
Not to the point of having any regrets, but I would’ve probably thought once more or I want to do it over or I need to return.

It was only because there was a distinct enemy, a distinct objective, that I was able to give my best until my death.
As a result, I was now this way.

“Even if you say that, I won’t be letting my guard down.”
“Ah.......no, well.....I didn’t say this with that intention........”

I wonder why.
It’s not like Hitogami has a nice side to him.
Even though I said that I didn’t hate him, it didn’t mean that I liked him either.
Of course, I didn’t want to give him my thanks.

“..........”
“..........”

That’s why, on that note, the conversation came to a stop.
An uncomfortable atmosphere grew between us.
Within that moment, my mind was suddenly hit by a thought.

“........I wonder why I came to this world.”

I tried muttering those words.

“I don’t know.”

Hitogami answered while muttering as well.

“Do you really not know anything?”
“If I knew, I would’ve interfered beforehand. You really appeared out of thin air. I didn't realize until after that teleport incident happened. Just suddenly.”
“Hmmmmm...........”

In the end, during my entire life, I never found out the truth behind the teleport incident.
There was Nanahoshi’s weird hypothesis, and something may happen from this point forward but.......

“If there ever comes a reincarnated guy similar to me, then please give him my regards.”
“.......Like hell I will.”
“Thought so.”

I was bluntly refused.
Well, it wouldn’t be strange if Hitogami was holding a grudge towards me.

“Anyway, what’s going to happen to me now? I do think that I’ve died.”
“Well, let’s see.”

While irritated Hitogami looked at me.

“Ordinarily, the soul reduces itself into mana, then gets mixed with someone else’s mana or recomposes itself into something else. However, you are a person from another world so I wouldn’t know what may happen to you.”
“I see.”

I thought that after death I would get to meet Paul or Gisu but I guess that’s not happening.
Even though it was obvious, it’s still a pity........
But well, my body had been buried in the same place as them. Maybe I should be satisfied with just that.

“.......”

When I noticed, my body was gradually fading away.
I wonder if this was the mana reduction that Hitogami was talking about.
So this was the definition of death in this world.
Perhaps even for other inhabitants of this world, they came to this white room just before their deaths.
Probably without ever meeting Hitogami, they just waited until they faded away from the white room.
If you think that way, then Hitogami may be close to the Yama(the Judge of the Afterlife).
Scoffing on someone’s entire life, grinning in front of them at the verge of their death…..
That’s a detestable Yama.

“Tch.......”

However, Hitogami wasn’t grinning like he usually did.
On the contrary, he was unconsciously tapping his foot, unable to hide his irritation.
He wanted to feel triumphant in front of me who was vexed and disappearing.........but that ended in a failure so now he was feeling irritated.
He really is a detestable guy.

“........”

I stood in front of that Hitogami.

“Well, Perhaps it’s not my position to say this but........”

Someway or other, I put my hand on his shoulder.


“Do your best from now on.”


I wonder if he’ll get angry.........
Or so I thought, but Hitogami breathed out a sigh and dropped his shoulders.
And then, sat down as if collapsing on his knees.

“..............”

After that, he completely fell silent.

While looking down on Hitogami, I surveyed my surroundings.
It’s the same as before, pure white.
Empty.

And then, my body was on the verge of disappearing too.

My consciousness was gradually dying out as well.

Would I return back to my previous world?
Or would I become someone else in this world?
Would my memories remain intact?
Or would they not?

I didn’t know, but no matter which form it takes, I wouldn’t care.
Even if my consciousness or memories remained, even if I was born in place much harsher than this one, or in my previous world, I would probably be able to get along somehow.


“See ya.”


My final words.
As my consciousness was gradually fading away, I passed by Hitogami’s side and started walking forward.

Without turning back, I simply headed forward───

















Previous Chapter | Next Chapter

   68 comments :

  1. Thanks for all the translations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. shi~t that was AWESOME!!!
    thanks for the translations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the chapter.
    Rest in peace Rudius Greyrat

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for the chapter, i don't know why people say its a shit ending its perfect

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well bc hitogami said that people soul turn into mana and bc rudeus is from another world he doesn't know what will happen to him

      Delete
  5. GOD DAMNIT RUDEUS THE ONION CUTTING NINJAS!
    THAT FAREWELL IS TOO GUD,THE HINT IS KILLING ME AS WELL STAHP...;~;

    Thanks for the hard work..gonna stare into space for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. he depart without looking back so awesome ! btw the lillia in the next prologue is the smae with lilia nanny ?

    ReplyDelete
  7. T.T THAAAAAAAAAAANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. .............. not sure what to do now in my sea of feels. DAMMIT I LOVE RUDEUS, SYLPHY, ERIS, ROXY, ORSTED, NORN, PAUL, ZENITH, AISHA ALL OF THEM EVEN GISU!!!!! I DON'T EVEN HATE HITOGAMI... anyway great ending. Once more thanks for translation. ;)

      Delete
  8. Damn. I'm can't believe it's done! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well here is hoping that he might come back as a different person 50 percent chance

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you. Thank you. Thank. Really, really thank you. I've been following this from the very beginning, so many emotions and good times... I have an emotional attachment with the characters... Now I feel empty but satisfied. Still need some explanations but thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. God...I think this series gave me the best feeling after its ending ever. Lots of sad feels, awesome feels, funny feels, satisfying feels. Gotta love his final interaction with hitogami, a unique kind of frenemy. Even with the story not "completely" told...it feels just right. Like he said, time to move on, and leave the rest for those left behind...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I thank you for your hard work

    ReplyDelete
  13. GREAT ENDING !!!!!!! Omg im crying T_T

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for all the translations that you've done. Also I'd like to extend my thanks to the other translators who worked on this series from the silentwolfie deviantart days to the pastebin days. This series is one of my all time favorite and will be looking forward to other forms of media including the light novels, the manga and who knows, maybe one day an anime series or movie.

    ReplyDelete
  15. yeah THANK YOU VERY MUCH & GREAT WORK FOR ALL TRANSLATOR.
    IT finally complete.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the translation. I don't know why the hover-translation of the ending card, but thanks, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for the translation, and thank you to all people who involved in translating Mushoku Tensei.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you very much for the translation. It is a great story.

    ReplyDelete
  19. great ending (was worried that it would be rushed but it felt complete somehow)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the translation.
    That ends a great story. It's the best LN/WN I have read.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Not too bad seeing Hitogami one last time like this... Still like the sidestory ending a lot more though.

    ReplyDelete
  22. And. This is the end for one of the most great magician
    Good luck in your new life, RUDEUS GREYRAT!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Definitely one of the best story I've ever read
    Many thanks to the author and the translator for delivering this novel to the very end

    ReplyDelete
  24. Absolutely the best. Don't think i could have come up with a ending this satisfying ever.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Good ending. Needs more nanahoshi closure though.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you for the translation and your effort

    ReplyDelete
  27. Its over thank you so much guys. You are true heroes

    ReplyDelete
  28. Its over thank you so much guys. You are true heroes

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you :D

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you :) It was a throughly moving and great novel, thank you for translating its final volumes o/

    ReplyDelete
  31. Bwoooo *gross sobbing* finally ...the end. I just like it...I'm speechless...the ride has ended. Thank you so much 100x.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you very much for the chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  33. plot twiat :
    he reincarnated again......
    hahahahahah

    ReplyDelete
  34. yes that was nice.... so nice

    ReplyDelete
  35. A big thanks to the translators both old and new for giving us a chance to read this series.A thanks to the author for creating Rudeus and the MT world.It was a fun ride and one worth taking.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I am crying... Crying a lot. Thank you and all others that helped make this translation come through and to the author who made this work of art. Thank you, truly thank you. I loved every scroll of it, like the time I was scared about what Eris would choose when they got back, and all other plot twists that I just let my mind go trying to not think about it and just accept the outcome and continue reading. Hàaah this was very satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Well.. What was it? Nothingness? I think I will be more Christian from now on! xD Maybe there won't be emptiness for all the souls if I do believe so!

    Well... This chapter was a little sad. It was best to end with the previous one.

    Anyway.. I always tought that Hitogami was from the Void World. And we never saw the Heaven World or Sea World or even the Void World. As a plus, Rusi never learned, I guess, how to time travel or to manipulate gravity - being possible that this last one he kinda learned but avoided thinking so.

    This all means what I tought before: the author was already breathless of MT and wanted to finish it. Wasn't a bad ending - I liked it a lot and this comes from a guy that never do. I mean, He spent. lot of time with Eris and Ruijerd (Ruijard) but after merrying and stuff, his wifes became kinda obsolete and did not participated much. Sylphiette praticaly vaniched and Eris wisdon completely wasn't there at the end because she changed radically after swrod land - but the change wasn't becauseof that land. It's totally because of the plot.


    I wish it were more complete in this regard because it's an interesting and fabulous story. But I'm not sad - it's like Rudeus said: very much could still be done but I'm satisfied. Not at all but I accept it! Just this chapter could have shown more - like who Hitogami really is!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. That feeling when your favourite manga,anime , LN finished and on the same time happy about the ending. I've been reading this for 2yrs now and now its end already I feel something in me is missing but no rgret :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. I'm just... ugh. I'm really sad it ended lol. I just wish I got to see more of their stories, like in Heaven and Sea Race. I'm just... lost now and I have no idea what to do. Daaaaamn. I'm not sure about the ending though :/ I mean he just disappears. Makes me want to cry ;-; Oh wait. I already did.

    ReplyDelete
  40. thank you so much for your efforts translating ive been reading this for 3days now straight with no sleep perfect ending, ive cried 5 times reading all the volumes,. thank you so much hope theyll make a show for this

    ReplyDelete
  41. Thank you It's been a good ride

    ReplyDelete
  42. I wonder, was that vision truly just a half assed attempt to make Rudi lax? If I recall correctly in an earlier chapter Hitogami was depressed because Rudi's actions were causing all of Hitogami's visions of his own future to go dark and unknowable. So what if he used those few moments when Rudi was vulnerable to take control of Rudi's Foresight eye to see his own future, and most importantly discover the identities of the key figures of his defeat. Hitogami now knows the faces and at least some of the names of the people Orsted needs for victory. The Laplace war will be brutal, but it seems the ultimate victor will be decided in the shadows.

    ReplyDelete
  43. T_T now that i finished it, im kinda sad. it was amazing, and thank you to those who translated it

    ReplyDelete
  44. what if rudi comes back as one of his great great grandchildren and ends up being the one to kill laplace

    ReplyDelete
  45. Thank you , anf farewell. Rudeus

    ReplyDelete
  46. Not enough thank u for the author and translators.

    Have a safe journey Rudi

    ReplyDelete
  47. In the normal hero that summoned from other plot, rudi would be a character that mentioned in some book or history of that world..
    Truly out of the box character and twist of overused plot..

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  48. Thank You for translating this novel. I enjoyed it to the very end.

    ReplyDelete
  49. This was seriusly the best ln i have ever read i felt so sad when he read about his future this is so damn good this ln

    ReplyDelete
  50. Thanks for all the hard work translator team! Such a beautiful story, I can't help but smile whenever I think about this novel.

    ReplyDelete
  51. I'm so so happy but at the same time pretty sad what I'm going to read now? This can't be compared with anything, well thanks for the Hard work! Was a pleasure read this novel

    ReplyDelete
  52. after I watched the anime, after that I immediately read this chapter, I felt very happy, the best novel for Isekai has ended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is there a sequel? I want to know what happened to rudues and others after this.

      Delete

Progress

Redundant Chapter XX


Translation
0%
Editing/Proofread
0%

Total Pageviews

Recent Comments

Powered by Blogger.